How To Set Up a Minecraft Forge Server
Last modified on Sep 7, 2022 in Control Panel
Forge is a Minecraft Mod Loader which enables the use of mods on your Minecraft server. You may want to install a version of that is not already provided in our jar dropdown. If this is the case, you can manually install Forge to the server. There are a few steps to this process, however, we will walk you through each step to ensure a smooth installation.
How to Install Forge on a Server
Resetting the World
When installing a custom Forge version, it is highly recommended to perform a world reset. Doing this ensures there won’t be compatibility issues, especially when you are changing to an older version or if your previous world had mods. You can reset the world by selecting Create New World when changing versions to Custom.
- Create a folder on your computer and name it something you will remember.
- Head to the official Forge website. To the left of the page you will see a listing of all Minecraft versions.
- Find the version of Minecraft that you want the server to run and click it.
- It’s best to stick with the recommended version but if you want to go with another one they will all be listed on this page.
- Once you decide on which to download, click the Installer download.
File Being Renamed Looks Like:
- Once you run the installer, it will open a popup. You will want to select Install Server.
- Then press the 3 dots to the right of the popup to select the target directory.
- Navigate to the folder you just created, select it and press Open.
- Click OK on the popup and wait for it to finish installing to the chosen directory.
- Once it’s installed, go into the folder you created previously and you should see a libraries folder, a forge jar, and a minecraft_server jar. Rename the forge jar to “custom.jar”.
An image of the installer page:
Uploading Forge to the server
- Stop the server, then scroll to the jar dropdown on the panel, change the version to “Custom” and click save.
- Access your server files via an FTP client such as Filezilla.
- Open the jar folder and delete the contents inside if it is not already empty.
- After you make sure the jar directory is empty, drag in the libraries folder, the minecraft_server jar, and the custom jar from the folder you made previously.
- Wait for it to fully upload and watch for failed transfers. If there are any failed transfers, you will want to completely reupload the files.
Console says Unable to access jarfile /jar/custom.jar
This error might be caused by a variety of reasons. Most of the times, the jar is missing in the jar folder, it was renamed incorrectly, or it was corrupted while uploading. In order to resolve this, head into the FTP File Access tab in your server panel and double check the file is there and named correctly. If after this the issue persists, please repeat the upload process.
Take into account that Forge requires other files in order to function correctly. For these, make sure to also upload these files inside the same jar folder of your server panel. Once added, restart your server and try again.