How to Install Minecraft Forge Client-Side
Last modified on Jun 30, 2022 in General
One of the most exciting parts about playing Minecraft is using mods. Mods allow for customization past Vanilla Minecraft and can really change your gameplay in some awesome ways. However, adding mods is not as simple as just putting them into a mods folder. You must be running the Minecraft Forge version in order for these mods to work. Forge is great as this modding API allows for the tens of thousands of mods out there to be added to your client. Installing it is not too difficult and today we will be walking you through all of the steps how to install Forge.
Don’t forget that Forge is only for Minecraft: Java Edition and is not made for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition.
How to Install Forge on Minecraft
There are many ways to install Forge on your Minecraft client. We will be walking you through how to install it on your base Minecraft Launcher and how you can do it through the CurseForge Desktop App.
- Head to the official Forge website. To the left of the page, you will see a listing of all Minecraft versions.
- Find the version of Minecraft that you want to run and click it. It’s best to stick with the recommended version but if you want to go with another one they will all be listed on this page.
- Once you decide on which to download, click the Installer download.
- Once you run the installer, it will open a popup. You will want to select Install Client and wait for it to finish installing.
- Open Minecraft and make sure that the version to the left of the play button is set to Forge, then click Play.
- Once Minecraft is fully launched, go ahead and close it. This will generate the necessary files for Forge in the Minecraft directory.
- Head to the official Forge website. To the left of the page, you will see a listing of all Minecraft versions. Find the version of Minecraft that you want to run and click it.
- Same with Windows, it’s best to stick with the recommended version but if you want to go with another one they will all be listed on this page. Once you decide on which to download, click the Installer download.
- Go to your downloads folder and drag the file to your desktop and open the file.
- If you get an error that it can’t be opened because it’s from an unidentified developer, you will want to go to System Preferences, search Security, and towards the bottom you should see a message about it being blocked. To the left of it, click Open Anyway and then click Open again.
- Once the file is opened, go ahead and click Install Client and then press OK.
- Go to your Applications folder and open up Minecraft. Make sure the version is set to Forge and then click Play.
- Open the CurseForge App, and head to the “My Modpacks” Minecraft tab.
- In the top-right, press “Create Custom Profile”.
- Enter in any name for “Profile Name”, select the version of Minecraft you want to run, and leave the “Modloader” at the latest Forge.
- Click Create, then head to the “My Modpacks” tab. You should see your new profile being listed there.
- Make sure all other Minecraft launchers are closed and click “Play”.
Once this has been completed, you will now have Minecraft Forge running, allowing you to install mods on your own device for use in singleplayer or on a server.
Version doesn’t show up in Minecraft
If you have installed Forge but you aren’t seeing the version being listed, it’s highly likely that you installed the server version instead of the client one. Make sure to double-check this.
Forge install failing
If you seem to be unable to install Forge, make sure that you have run the native version of Minecraft first. This generates the proper directories in which Forge is installed to.
Adding Forge to your Minecraft client is the first step to enhance your Minecraft experience. By adding Forge, you can get access to the endless mods available on sites such as CurseForge. If you have seen videos of mod packs or similar, all of these require Forge to work as well. Don’t forget that if you own a server, Forge must be installed on both your Minecraft client and your server.