How to Use Workshop Maps on a CS:GO Server
Last modified on Oct 26, 2022 in csgo
By Dalton Whalen
In the world of CS:GO server hosting, there are many ways to customize your server. Whether you use various plugins or tweak the game with commands, each server can become completely unique. Another way to achieve this is through the use of custom workshop maps. These community-created maps can completely revamp the gameplay experience, providing new and exciting experiences that the base game doesn’t offer. Whether you load up a single workshop map or an entire collection, this process is simplified with the Apex Hosting customizations page. This tutorial was created to guide you through the necessary steps to use workshop maps on a CS:GO server.
Locating a Map ID
- Visit the CS:GO Workshop Page.
- Locate a map that you wish to use, then enter the page.
- On the page URL, make note of the numbers following
- Copy this string of numbers for later.
E.g. If a map URL is
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2813425251, the ID number is
Loading Custom Maps on the Server
- Navigate to your Apex Server Panel, then stop the server.
- In the left-hand menu, enter the
- Scroll down to the
Workshop File IDfield.
- Paste the ID number from earlier into here.
- Return to the main panel page, then restart the server.
The server will now use the workshop map upon starting up. When connecting, the server will automatically download the map to your own computer, allowing you to connect and play without any hassle!
Creating a Collection
Instead of loading one map at a time, you can choose to load a collection of maps. This will allow players to vote on maps and switch between them without needing to restart the server each time.
- From the CS:GO Workshop, locate a map you wish to use.
Add to Collection, then select or create a collection.
- (Optional) If creating a collection, follow the prompts until it is published.
- Continue to add any desired maps to the collection as needed.
- Like before, make note of the ID number at the end of the collection URL
Loading a Collection on the Server
- Visit the Apex Panel, then stop the server.
- Enter the
Customizationtab in the left-hand menu.
- Under the
Workshop Collection IDfield, enter the collection ID number.
- Once done, return to the main panel page and restart the server.
Choosing the Start Map in a Collection
By default, the server will load maps in the order it was added to the collection. This can be overridden to load one of the collection maps by default on startup.
- From the Apex Panel page, ensure the server is offline.
- Proceed to the
Config Files, followed by the
- On an empty line, add the following:
- Replace the
###with the ID number of the desired start map.
Save, then restart the server when prompted.
Following these adjustments, the workshop map(s) will be available for all to play on your server. In addition to being simple to set up, any maps will be automatically downloaded by any players to connect to your server. While you can choose to only load one workshop map at a time, oftentimes using a collection allows for much more variability. Not only do collections allow for more maps, but players can vote to use any map within the collection instead of restarting to load a new one. With this knowledge of how to set a workshop map and collection, you are ready to jump into the action on your Counter Strike: Global Offensive server!