How to Join a CS:GO Server
Last modified on Jun 8, 2022 in csgo
By Dalton Whalen
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is a very popular game despite how long it has been around. Since it is a multiplayer shooter, servers are a large part of gameplay. While there are many official servers to choose from, there are also plenty of community-created servers. Whether you are looking to join an existing server or connect to your own, CS:GO allows you to join a server directly with an IP. With Apex Hosting, joining a CS:GO server is very easy, so today we will show you how to get started.
Getting a Steam Game Token
In order to join a CS:GO server, you must first generate a Steam game token.
- Access the Steam Game Servers page and ensure you are logged in.
Create a new game server account, enter 730 for the app ID, then choose a memo.
- Press Create, then copy the Login Token.
- Navigate to your Apex Server Panel, then log in.
- Under the
Customizationsarea, paste the Login Token into the Steam Account Token field.
- Restart the server to start up and allow players to connect.
Obtaining the IP
- Navigate to your Apex Server panel, then log in.
- From this page, scroll down to the
- Copy the IP and port from the right-hand side, we’ll need this shortly.
With the IP in hand, you can now connect through Steam or CS:GO directly!
Connecting Through CS:GO
- Launch Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
- Open settings, enter game settings, then locate
Enable Developer Console.
- Ensure the option is set to
Yes, then exit the menu.
- From the main menu, press the ‘~’ key to open the console.
- Enter connect [IP:Port] using your server’s IP.
E.g. connect 184.108.40.206:25612
You should now connect to your server and be able to play!
Connecting Through Steam
- Launch the Steam client, then navigate to View > Servers.
- Press the
Favoritestab at the top, then press
Add a Serverin the bottom-right.
- Enter your server’s IP address, then press
Add this address to favorites.
- Start CS:GO, then press play.
- Using the dropdown, switch to
Community Server Browser.
- Switch to the
Favoritestab, locate your server, then connect.
My server isn’t appearing in the in-game list:
Often, this occurs because the server was not properly added through Steam. Ensure that the server was added to your favorites. In addition, make sure that the session filter is changed to “Community Server Browser”., otherwise it will not appear.
The server is displaying as blank or offline through Steam:
The main cause for this is the IP not being properly entered. Make sure the IP entered through Steam matches the IP Address:Port section on the panel exactly. Otherwise, make sure the CS:GO server is started on the panel as well.
Stuck connecting to server:
Oftentimes, this means there is an issue with the entered IP. Ensure that the server is online and that you are using the IP from the server’s panel. If you are stuck at the screen and need to restart the game, consider trying Alt+F4 to force close CS:GO.