How to Make an Unturned Server
By Nathan Young
Unturned servers offer a wide variety of features to play with friends and other players, which can greatly improve gameplay. This can intrigue potential server owners, as it can allow for custom addons, maps, commands, among other options. These can be difficult to set up, especially if you are unfamiliar with hosting servers. Additionally, some of the customizations require file editing and could be daunting at first. However, when everything is configured, then you and others can enjoy a tailored game experience! With all this in mind, Apex Hosting will show you how to make an Unturned server and important configuration tips to get you started.
How to Make an Unturned Server
- Head towards your Apex server panel and locate the Game File section.
- Open the dropdown menu by clicking it, then lookup Unturned and select it.
- Once selected, confirm the changes and generate a new world.
- Restart the server when prompted or from the main panel.
Note: The first installation of Unturned will take time, but shouldn’t be too long.
- When it finishes, try joining the server to confirm everything works.
Now that you host an Unturned server, you’ll want to start configuring it. For instance, you may want to add admins, enable cheats, change the map, or install plugins. We’ll go through these and more to help you fully set up your server. This will give you control over almost everything, which is ideal if you’re wanting to have a small or large community.
Joining the Server
- In your server panel, locate the
IP Address:Portsection and copy the numbers.
- Launch Unturned from Steam and press Play from the menu.
- Afterward, choose Connect and paste the
Note: If a server password is set, use that in the correct field.
- When all information is entered, press Connect and Join when you see the server appear.
Adding an Admin Account
- Head towards Steam IO and enter the desired Steam account username.
- Wait for it to load, then copy the
SteamID64values for later use.
- Navigate to your server panel and press Stop or Force Stop.
- In the top left corner, click Config Files and locate the Commands.dat option.
- Select the option and input
owner SteamID64, then click Save in the top.
Note: Make a new line for every account you want to be admin.
- Afterward, Restart the server and join with the account to confirm it works.
- If you’re wanting to add more in-game admins, then use
/admin [SteamID64]to do it.
- Navigate to your server panel and press Stop.
- Afterward, click Config Files in the top left corner.
- Locate and enter in the Commands.dat section.
- On a new blank line, copy and paste
- Once entered, click Save in the top left and Restart the server.
We’ll briefly review important admin and cheat commands to use in-game. If you’re wanting a complete list of them, review our Unturned Commands guide.
|/ban [SteamID] [Reason] [Duration]||Ban a player for a specific amount of time and for a reason.|
|/unban [SteamID]||Removes the ban from a user.|
|/bans||Returns a list of all banned players.|
|/kick [SteamID] [Reason]||Forcibly remove a person from the server.|
|/permit [SteamID]||Add a specific user to the server’s authorized join list.|
|/unpermit [SteamID]||Remove a player from the join list.|
|/whitelisted||Enables authorized players to only join the server.|
|/chatrate [Value]||Assigns an interval between messaging in-chat to prevent spam.|
|/airdrop||Instantly spawn an airdrop at your location.|
|/experience [SteamID] [Value]||Gives a player experience points.|
|/give [SteamID] [Item] [Amount]||Spawn an item for a player.|
|/mode [Easy/Normal/Hard]||Sets the server’s difficulty.|
|/say [Text]||Broadcasts a message to the server.|
|/teleport [SteamID]/[SteamID/Location]||Instantly teleport yourself or another player to a specified location.|
|/help [Command]||Reveals useful information about any command.|
Changing the Server Map
- Head towards your server panel and press Stop.
- In the top left corner, click on Config Files and locate Commands.dat, select it.
- Inside of it, add a new line with
- Afterward, press Save near the top left and Restart the server.
Down below is the list of maps to choose from to get you started.
|Germany||Large survival world, recommended for intermediate survivors.|
|PEI||The default map, medium sized and suggested for starters.|
|Russia||A large world for experienced players.|
|Washington||Medium map for intermediate users.|
|Yukon||Medium-large world for experienced survivors.|
How to Install Plugins
We’ll go through the automatic method for installing plugins, but you can review our manual guide instead if you want.
- Enter towards the OpenMod plugin’s page, then locate what you want.
- Once found, press Copy Install Command to the right of the plugin.
- Afterward, head towards your server panel and click Console on the left.
- Paste the command into the text box below and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Wait for the server to install your desired plugin(s), which should return the “
Successfully installed [PluginName]” message.
- Once completed, Restart the server or use
openmod reloadin the Console.
- Join the server when everything is ready to confirm it works.
How to Install Workshop Mods
- Use Unturned’s Workshop to locate the mod you want from the Search field or categories.
- When you find one, open its page and copy the ID from the URL.
Note: It’s after “
?id=” in the URL or from the mod’s description down below.
- Copy down all the mod IDs you want to install on the server for later use.
- Next, click FTP File Access near the top left from the main server panel.
- Use your password to login, then navigate into the
- Enter into your world’s folder, then click Edit on the
- Locate the
File_IDslist and in-between the brackets, use Enter on your keyboard.
- Input the mod’s ID on each blank line, then separate them with a comma besides the last one.
- Press Save in the top left and Restart the server to apply the changes.
If you’re wanting to manually install mods, then review our guide here. Additionally, in the same guide, you can load modded maps from the Workshop into the server. This would be important information if the normal worlds aren’t what you want.
Hosting Unturned servers truly gives you many advantages over LAN or singleplayer, as it can have plugins, mods, custom maps, and unique configuration. Whether you only install addons or use cheat commands, this allows you to build a customized experience for others to enjoy. These features are wonderful for private or public servers, which means they are global aspects to Unturned servers. Although, you will need to get an idea of what plugins, mods, and other options you want for it. Once you know exactly what should be included, start adding and configuring it. Besides this, we hope this guide helped you make a Unturned server and to get started with its set up.
How to Join Unturned Servers
How to Add Server Admins
Unturned Server Commands