How to Fix the “Server Connection Timed Out” Error in Minecraft
By Nathan Young
Whether you are running a modded or Vanilla Minecraft Server, running into issues with connection can lead to frustration in both you and the players on the server. One of the most common problems server owners run into is being unable to connect due to a timeout error. While the timed out error is generally associated with a bad connection from the player to the server, it can also be a configuration issue. Running into this error can be especially troublesome as new players who would like to join the server will be unable to join unless the issues are resolved. Solving the timed out error can be difficult as there are many different fixes that may need to be implemented and tried out. Knowing this, we have created this Apex Hosting guide to walk you through all of the best methods on resolving this issue.
How to Fix a Timed Out Error
- Log into your Apex server panel, and click on your server.
- Locate the
IP Address:Portand or
- Copy the address of either one, then open Minecraft and go to
- From there, click on
Direct Connectionand paste the address in the
Server Addressfield. You may want to try both of the addresses for this purpose.
- That’s it! You’re done, and it should work unless there is an underlying issue.
Restart the Minecraft Server
- Navigate to your Apex server panel and choose your server.
- Click on
Restart, then wait for it to fully load. You can confirm it’s loaded fully by locating the
Consoleto the left of the panel, then looking for the
- After that, please proceed to join the Minecraft server. That may resolve the situation!
Forge 1.8 – 1.16.5
- Download the
RandomPatchesForge mod from here and make sure the version matches your server version.
- Install the mod on your server from the Apex server panel, which you can review more on that process here.
- Once installed, restart the server and wait for it to load.
- Next is to upload the same mod into your launcher’s local
modsfolder. It’d be where all the files are for the launcher or modded profile for it.
- After everything is installed correctly with the server online, join it to confirm everything works as intended.
Fabric 1.15.2 – 1.16.5
- Head to the
RandomPatchesFabric download page here, then start downloading the correct version for your server.
- After that, install the mod onto your server from the Apex server panel. Learn more about that here.
- Start up the server from the panel and wait for it to finish loading.
- Make sure to upload the same mod into your local Fabric
modsfolder, which should be in your launcher files or profile for it.
- Once the server is done loading and you installed the mod locally, try joining to see if that fixed the situation.
Having a timed out connection on a modded or vanilla Minecraft server is annoying and stressful for you and the players. Almost anyone can receive the timed out error since it’s the most common connection issue. Remember, the launcher configuration factors into the situation and would only impact certain players. Unless the problem is resolved, players may continue timing out from the server, making them unable to join. Solving the timed out error is tricky because of the different methods involved. Luckily, we created this guide to provide all the best and most common practices to fix the timed out error.