How to Upload Custom World Files on Rust
Last modified on May 13, 2022 in Rust
By Dalton Whalen
When playing Rust, a large part of the game is exploring the large world to get the best loot. Sometimes, server owners will prefer to have a customized map in order to have control over the biomes and monuments that appear. Whether it’s to have a barren landscape or as many locations as possible, with Apex Hosting, you are able to upload a custom map to your Rust server. Today, we will show you how to set one on your server to appear in-game!
Downloading a Custom Map:
There are many locations online to download a custom map. Whether you are using a site to download a free map or purchasing a custom-made one, ensure it is a “.map” file for this to work.
Uploading the Map:
In order for the map to work, you will need to upload the .map file to a file hosting site such as Dropbox.
- Upload your .map file to Dropbox.
- Once complete, go to the
Shareoption to generate a link.
- With the link, replace the ending
- Copy this link to a safe location, as we will need it shortly.
- Download the RustEdit Oxide extension, which can be found here.
- Navigate to your Apex Server panel, then stop the server.
- Scroll down to ensure
Enable uMod Supportis checked.
- Navigate to the FTP File Access on the left, then log in.
- Access the
RustDedicated_Datafolder, then the
Uploadin the top-left, then drag + drop the
Oxide.Ext.RustEdit.dllfile into the right.
Setting the World
- Once complete, return to the main FTP area.
- Navigate to /server/[WorldName]/.
- To reset the world, delete all files except for the “cfg” folder, if present.
- If the “cfg” folder is not present, create one, then enter it.
- Locate or create the
server.cfgfile, then press
editto the far-right of it.
- In the file, add a new line of:
- Replace the [url] part with your dropbox link from earlier, keeping the quotations.
- Save the file, then restart the server.
With that, your server should now be running your custom map! When Rust maps are often randomized and never the same, it sometimes helps to have a map that is always the same, even after a world wipe. This can create areas that players fight for and make the experience more interesting overall.