How To Add Plugins With Spongeforge
Last modified on Jan 6, 2022 in Control Panel
Having mods or plugins is an excellent way to bring excitement to your Minecraft gameplay. While mods and plugins are both great, they are not compatible with each other out of the box. In most cases you will not be able to use both mods and plugins on your server, but there are a few lucky exceptions to this rule. There may be some features you want your server to have that you can’t find any mods for or you may want to add some features that don’t require your players to install anything. This is possible thanks to Spongeforge.
With Spongeforge on your server you will be able to have both mods and plugins, however, there are some restrictions with this. While Sponge is an incredible asset to use, you will only be able to install plugins made specifically for it. The more popular Bukkit/Spigot plugins won’t be an option for you to use, but most popular Bukkit plugins have a sponge alternative availble. Adding Sponge plugins is not too difficult, this guide will walk you through the entire process on how to add them to your Minecraft server.
Adding Spongeforge plugins to your server
Choosing your plugins
- Head to Ore, the official Spongeforge plugin site,here. You can search for your desired plugins.
- Once you find a plugin you are interested in, click on it and make sure to read the page to check for any dependencies. Not having the dependency plugins will cause the server to crash.
- Click on the versions tab and select the latest one available to open the download page.
- Click on the yellow download button to get your plugin, then open your server’s control panel.
Uploading the plugin to your server
- In your server’s control panel, click on FTP File Access tab on the left side of the page and login with your control panel password
- Find your mods folder and click on it to enter it.
- Click on “Upload” button and use the next page to add your plugin files to the server. Be sure to wait for it to fully upload before leaving this page, there will be a progress counter that will 100% when it is done with the upload.
- Go back to the main page of your control panel and start your server, the plugins should now load in with the rest of the server.
My server is crashing on startup after plugins are added
If the server is crashing on startup after you add the plugins, it is likely due to either a missing dependency, or a corrupted plugin file. Check all of the plugins you added and confirm that they are the correct version and that they don’t have any dependencies. If you confirm all of this and it still doesn’t start, try contacting our support team so they can investigate the cause and help you fix it.