How to Set Admins on a Valheim Server
Last modified on Sep 2, 2022 in Valheim
By Dalton Whalen
|Valheim Standard||Unknown Version||Checkout|
As a Valheim Server grows, the need for server moderation many times becomes essential. To mitigate any community caused problems, server owners will bring on Admins to assist the server in moderating and sometimes development. In Valheim specifically, Administrators are given a few commands that will assist them in monitoring the server and community. Some of these commands include the ability to kick, ban, and unban players. Setting players as admins is not as simple as just typing a command into the server console, so many server owners run into issues during the process. That is why we will be walking you through the entire process of setting admins onto your Valheim server.
How to Set a Player to Admin:
Getting a Player’s ID:
In order to add a player as an admin, you will first need to gather their SteamID64 number. This will allow the game to keep track of each player when they join.
- Navigate to a SteamID website, such as steamid.io.
- Enter the username or Steam URL of the player’s account.
- Locate the SteamID64 number and copy it for later.
Adding the Player to the Admin List:
- Head to your Apex Server Panel.
- To the left of the panel, click on
- Locate and click
Valheim Admin List”.
- Add in the players ID, but only do one per line otherwise it will not work.
- Save the file, and the change should take immediate effect!
Enable Client Console Commands:
Once a player is given admin access, they will still need to enable the console through their own game. Luckily, this is quite easy to do!
- Navigate to your Steam game library.
- Locate and right-click Valheim.
- Go to properties.
- Under the General tab, locate the
-console, hyphen included.
The console now can be accessed in-game using the F5 key to use the admin commands!
help - Shows all available server commands.
kick [name/ip/userID] - Kicks the specified user.
ban [name/ip/userID] - Bans the specified user.
unban [ip/userID] - Unbans the specified user.
banned - Provides a list of all banned users.
ping - Pings the server to check for network latency.
lodbias [number] - Sets the view distance on the server. Ranges from 1-5.
info - Displays the current system information.
save - Forces the world to save.
optterrain - Optimizes old terrain modifications.
Overall, adding admins to moderate your Valheim server is a great option to keep gameplay fair for everyone. While it does not provide the dev-cheats to spawn in items, giving yourself and trusted players admin access is a great option when running any server. Now that you know how to do so, you can easily repeat the process at any time. With that, you are ready to begin playing on your Valheim server and work together with others!
How To Make a Valheim Standard Server With Apex Hosting
- Select your server package from our pricing page
- On the ‘Configure Your Server’ page, complete the required fields
- Under ‘Server Version’, select your version from the dropdown list
- Complete the order and your Valheim Standard server will be created instantly