How to Install a Custom Map in Conan Exiles
Last modified on Mar 23, 2022 in conan
By Dalton Whalen
When playing vanilla Conan Exiles, playing the normal maps may become tiresome. Due to vanilla having static maps, the developers can focus on adding more details, but some players may desire something new. Thankfully, custom maps are available from the Steam Workshop, allowing you to change your server’s map. Installing a custom map can be quite tricky at first, so we have created this Apex Hosting guide to ease you through the setup process.
Choosing a Map
- From Steam, head to the Conan Exiles workshop page.
- Locate the custom map of your choosing.
Subscribeto begin downloading the map.
- Check the URL or description of the page for a mod ID, we will need this soon.
Once the workshop content is fully installed through Steam, you can start Conan Exiles and wait for the launcher to open!
Preparing the Files
From here, you will need to upload the map’s mod file. For a more in-depth guide on installing mods, visit our page here.
- Go to
Browse Local Filesuntil a window opens.
- At the top of the file manager, press the
- Proceed to
content> then select the folder named
- Here, there will be a folder with numbers depending on each mod.
- Open the folder based on your mod ID from earlier.
- Locate the .pak file, as we will need this shortly.
Uploading the World
- Navigate to your Apex Server Panel, then stop the server.
- Proceed to the
FTP File Access, then log in.
- Access the
ConanSandboxfolder, then the
- Press upload in the top-left.
- Drag + drop your custom map’s .pak file.
- Once at 100%, return to the FTP File Access.
Loading the World
- Proceed back into the
- Create or edit the
- Inside, add an asterisk (*), followed by the .pak file name.
Saveonce complete, then return to the main panel page.
Customizationson the left-hand side, then locate
Default Server Map
- In the dropdown, begin to manually type the following:
- Replacing both “MapName” parts, enter the map name ID. This is often the name of the .pak file, but may be in the workshop description.
Enterto submit the manual text into the field.
Once the mod is uploaded and the map is ready, return to the main panel page and start up the server for use!
The map is not loading:
There are many reasons that the map may not be loading. Ensure that the modlist.txt file is properly filled out and that the .pak file is inside of the /ConanSandbox/Mods/ folder or it will not work. Once done, try to restart once again and see if anything changes.
I see a custom map logo, but the world isn’t correct:
Oftentimes, this occurs because the custom world was not properly set within the customizations area. Each map has a unique name that must be entered. If you are unsure, try the name of the .pak file. Otherwise, check the workshop page’s description to see if it specifies a map name.
It seems to work, but I can’t join:
If you are unable to join, we recommend checking for errors that you may receive. New players may receive an error that they don’t have the required mods installed. To fix this, players can check the option to download mods automatically or download them manually. Once complete, restart the game and try again.