With over 16,000 plugins currently available on the Bukkit Repo, it can be a daunting task to pick out the ones you need to get your server secured and ready for players to join. So we’ve gone ahead and provided a list of the top recommended plugins.
Now for sake of consistency this list does not take into account the Minecraft version you are running. This is because some will be running servers ranging from 1.5.2 to more updated versions. Because of this, we try to maintain a broad perspective on our choices based on our experience using them, the reliability of the plugin, and its flexibility to work on the different versions.
With that said, let’s take a look at our recommendations…
Top 10 Plugins For Your Server
- Essentials: A phenomenal plugin. It offers over 100 commands and features useful on just about every server. Really a must have for any server.
- Group Manager: Powerful, reliable, super flex-able full featured permissions manager that has been the go-to method for thousands of server owners and is also the companion to Essentials.
- PermissionsEx (PEX): An alternative to Group Manager, PEX is a permissions plugin that offers similar features but with a simpler logic structure.
- World Edit: The in-game world editor used by big names like Hypixel and Mineplex to create those epic monolithic structures.
- World Guard: The companion to WorldEdit, WorldGuard is a multipurpose tool used to maintain the state of your server with powerful grief prevention features, CPU profiling, blocks certain items from being used and much more.
- Grief Prevention: A plugin dedicated to one thing, the prevention of griefing. This powerful set and forget plugin offers server owner a quick method for protecting player builds as well as the pristine wilderness of your world.
- Core Protect: Fast, efficient, data logging and anti-griefing tool. Rollback and restore any amount of damage. Designed with large servers in mind, made minimal to manage data without impacting your server performance.
- Clear Lagg: The original server lag clearer that offers features in maintaining a smooth running server by removing excessive mobs, items and more.
- Lagg Remover: Similar to Clear Lagg, Lagg Remover offers features for cleaning up the junk like item drops, excessive mob spawn, and more.
- Variable Triggers: A very powerful scripting plugin that has unlimited potential. This is not recommended for beginners but is highly recommended for any owner looking to create a unique server.
There are still dozens of other equally useful plugins, but to keep the list short these are the ones we recommend you use when getting started to secure your first server.