How to Upload Workshop Maps to a Terraria Server
Last modified on Sep 2, 2022 in terraria
By Dalton Whalen
When playing Terraria, you may eventually become bored of playing on normal worlds. Surviving on randomly generated worlds can be interesting, but you may desire a more unique experience. Luckily, Terraria is compatible with the Steam Workshop, allowing you to download and play maps directly from other players. Whether they are used for survival, exploration, or simply admiring buildings, using Workshop maps provide unique gameplay for you to experience. Uploading Terraria Workshop maps to a Terraria server can be tedious if you are unfamiliar with the process, so we have created this Apex Hosting guide to ease you through the upload instructions.
- Access the Terraria Steam Workshop page and browse for a desired map.
- Once found, press the
Subscribebutton to begin downloading it.
- Launch Terraria, then select
Workshopfrom the main menu.
Import Worlds, locate your world, then press the
- Choose a world name, then begin the importing process.
Once this is complete, your workshop map should now be ready for upload!
Uploading the World
- From your computer, navigate to the following location:
- From here, locate your workshop world files. They may not have a proper name, so confirm using the
- (Optional) Consider renaming the .wld file to something easier to remember.
- Navigate to your Apex Server Panel, then stop the server.
- Proceed to the
FTP File Access, then navigate to the
savesfolder, then the
- Once here, press
Uploadin the top-left, then drag + drop your .wld file.
Windows: Documents\My Games\Terraria\Worlds
MacOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Terraria/Worlds
Loading the World
- Return to the main panel page, then scroll down to the
- When prompted, enter the name of the file you uploaded, not including the .wld ending.
Change Worldonce more, then restart the server when prompted.
Your server should now start up using the desired workshop world and be ready to play!
My world is the same:
Oftentimes, this occurs because the world name was not properly changed or the server was not restarted. Ensure the world name is changed to match the file, as well as make sure to restart the server.
The world is blank when I try to play:
There are many reasons that this may occur, although oftentimes this means the file was not uploaded in the correct location. Make sure it is uploaded into the /saves/Worlds/ folder. In addition, make sure the world name matches the uploaded file exactly, otherwise it will not load it up properly.
I get an error about journey mode:
Since Journey mode is similar to creative mode in other games, only journey mode characters can join journey worlds. If you are receiving this error, check the world from the import tab to view its difficulty. Once you determine the difficulty, create a new journey character or a normal character depending on the result.